S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Photoshop Help

Old 12-24-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

How to drop a truck in photoshop... the right way.

Ok.. in this little tutorial we're going to take a fairly normal truck, and slam it on the ground. Most of the time, people will just cut out the body of the truck, and slide it down a couple inches to achieve the desired result. While this works well for the most part, if you have a picture where the truck is casting a visible shadow or has a big reflection in the side of it, then the picture looks wrong when the body of the truck is moved in relation to the background. Here is a picture that has both such qualities.

When we're all finished, you should be able to follow exactly I have done and end up with something that looks similar to this.

Teeleton
Teeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

First and foremost.. grow the canvas size 200% so you have some working room to slide things around. Then use the polygon lasso to select the body of the truck and everything above it. Use any natual seams (like the grass line bottom right) in the picture to hide your cuts.

Next, lower the opacity of the cut and pasted layer and slide it over to match the bottom of the airdam with the shadow that the airdam cast in the original picture. This will ensure that the casted shadow and the truck match in the final picture.

Next, use the polygon lasso again and cut out the tires, so you can paste them into the wheel wells. Slide them around until they look right. Remember that trucks that sit this low tend to have some aggressive camber in the front, so rotate that tire a little to achieve that look. Also remember that the tires need to tuck, so you might need to slide them in under the wheel well a bit before they look right.

Next, you'll want to grab the section of concrete off to the left...

... and slide it up under the truck paying careful attention to the reflections on the side of the truck. Move it around until you're satisfied that it looks correct.

Now grab a copy of the shadow in front of the truck. Since we slid the truck over, the shadow isn't long enough. We're going to use this piece to extend the image over in front of the shifted truck.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:38 AM   #3
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

Once again, knock the opacity of the layer you're working with down so that you can line it up properly with the layers beneath.

Use the eraser to remove the section of the layer that is covering the original shadow on the layer below. You'll notice that the two pieces of shadow don't quite mate up properly. We need to straighten the line of the shadow out.

Use the eyedropper to grab a copy of the shadow's color right next to where you're going to paint it. Then use the airbrush tool and line tool to make a nice and straight shadow. Don't worry about the seams the the concrete for now. We'll get to that later.

Go back to the layer with your wheel wells on it, and cut those out.

Line them up under the body and tire layers.

Use the eyedropper and airbrush tool to fill in any missing wheel well that the drop created.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:48 AM   #4
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

Next grab the section of concrete next to the truck and slide it up under the body. Use the eraser and clone stamp to remove any errant shadows next to the body.

Keep a sharp eye out of any inconsistancies that crop up. Here we have a reflection of a shadow that doesn't exist.

Break out the eyedropper and airbrush and make short work of the phantom reflection.

Now use the eraser to clean up the shadow near the front wheel well. Use the eyedropped to sample the shadow's color, and them use the line tool to lay down a nice subtle shadow along the bottom the body. Even if it's sitting smack on the ground, there is still typically a small shadow present.

Now lets go clean up that concrete in front of the truck

Since we know that natural seams work better than the squared off seams of the box selector, back the opacity of the upper layer off to reveal the spots that are covered up by the upper layer. Use the eraser to cut out small holes in the upper layer to allow the lower layer to show through. This will break up the hard line of the pasted section. Use the paint tools as little as possible. Using the original source material either by cut and paste or the clone stamp will almost always look more natural.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 AM   #5
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

Now we're going to add a subtle detail that most people forget. Since the tires are tucked, they should have a small shadow cast onto them by the top of the wheel wheel. Create a layer between the body and wheels, use the eyedropper to sample some of your shadow color, and airbrush some shadows across the tops of the wheels.

Now the trick. Back the opacity of the layer with your shadows off until the shadows look natural. This way you don't "paint over" the details of the tire and wheel, and the shadow looks much better.

Last and final step. Set the view back to "Actual pixels" and look at your work closely. Are there any edges that need to be cleaned up? Any holes that you forgot to fill? If everything looks good, select the final area that you want to be the image boundry and crop it. You'll notice that I cropped it in a little from the right, because the shadow on the grass is too long. This way, I can crop it off. I also cropped it up a little on the bottom because I was a little short of concrete down there. Instead of trying to cut and paste a large area of concrete, just cut that section of the photo off.

And we're done! Flatten all of the layers and save it!

Teeleton
Old 12-24-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
r b g
Super Moderator
goat ride

good work man!!

the beauty of PS is that you can go 5 different ways, to get to the same point... this is one of the better ways to go.
r b g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
nateshotgirl
SSF Subscriber*
wanna lick?

in the reflection of the truck you can see where the concrete splits. how do you fix that?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

Either move the truck or the ground so that the reflection "looks" right. It probably won't be perfect, but the object is to not make it stand out and look obviously wrong.

Here is the steps where I did it in this progression.

Teeleton