S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #501
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

duane my uppers hit my header in the EXACT same spot.

whenever i get around to redoing my front suspension i plan on getting the same uppers you have
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
6SpeedBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #502
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

I would need to do some more reading...but...I think one of your shim problems stems from the fact that you're using "short" UCA's. G-body arms are shorter (from the pivot point to the C/L of the ball joint) and therefore require the tall uppers (do you have those?). To get the negative camber gain I believe they require the use of tall spindles or tall lower ball joints. I didn't get too far in my research for this since I went with the ATS tall spindles, but IIRC all the above applies to this situation with the shims.

I personally picked up the same arms NOT for the handling advantages, but because I wasn't going to mess up my $1200 headers with the UCA's banging on them.

Basically I'm saying not to worry about your shim situation since it will probably improve once you complete the package that I think you're wanting to get.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #503
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

87wildside - Thanks for the heads up, I knew they were cheaper, but never heard any numbers. That would still put them at $65-$70 a Piece, which I just didn't want to do now. Unless I HAVE to.

No I do NOT have tall balljoints. Gbodyparts.com, and a few misc threads around the net told me that they would be stock replacement for use with stock spindles and ball joints on an S10.

The shims I used are exactly how they came out with stock stuff. I'm under the understanding that these arms are stock spec, and therefor would need shims in the same location to match my alignment "before" (which should be a good spot for them to start at when I take it for an alignment on Tue). Besides, greater amount of shims would bring the control arm IN... which would be opposite of what "shorter" arms would need. (I think)

You may be thinking of Bbody suspension, not Gbody. I think the Bbody stuff is taller. Gbody is the same geometry, just has a different size bushing on one of the arms. In all honesty, I look into it just far enough to see what I could afford at this point to get the truck on the road... and planned to do more research at a later point on exactly what arms, balljoints, springs (coil-over?), and spindles that would be in my "master plan". My brother owns a Gbody Monte Carlo that he needs to build, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind a hand-me-down set of AAM LS1 Camaro brake setup on stock height spindles.

chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #504
off camber
Call me Eric

From what I can gather the flat ball joint plate is for lowered vehicles to help with the upper BJ angles.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #505
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

The upper balljoint is TOTALLY bound up when the suspension is at full droop.

Got the truck back on the ground, and with the shims in the same locations as they were previously, it has a noticeable negative camber. Hopefully they can pull enough shims to get it back into spec. Going to do a little digging and see if there are some specs that might be a little more favorible to handling (without killing tires). E.g, maybe a little negative camber would be better.

The first two stops were AWESOME. Hammered the brakes, and the truck stopped straight, with just a LITTLE lockup on the front as I applied more and more pressure. The 3rd stop was when the pads were bedded in, junk was cleaned up, and the fronts grabbed like SOB. Locked EASILY. Nose-dive like CRAZY. Gonna wait till the pads are totally worn in, then play with the prop valve as it's just dead center right now.

I HAVE to run wheel spacers because my wheels hit the corvette abutment brackets. I knew it was going to be close, because I test fit the wheels on a camaro (spun, but close enough to scrape paint off). It came down to a few MM, which I knew would be the difference of the AAM brackets and how centered the drill and tap was when modding the spindles. TTII wheels are fatties I guess

Forgot about the front shocks till after we were "done". So that'll happen tomorrow.

Oh, and front sway bar bushings are shot, gotta replace those soon.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #506
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
I would need to do some more reading...but...I think one of your shim problems stems from the fact that you're using "short" UCA's. G-body arms are shorter (from the pivot point to the C/L of the ball joint) and therefore require the tall uppers (do you have those?). To get the negative camber gain I believe they require the use of tall spindles or tall lower ball joints. I didn't get too far in my research for this since I went with the ATS tall spindles, but IIRC all the above applies to this situation with the shims.

I personally picked up the same arms NOT for the handling advantages, but because I wasn't going to mess up my $1200 headers with the UCA's banging on them.

Basically I'm saying not to worry about your shim situation since it will probably improve once you complete the package that I think you're wanting to get.
stop and think about that for a second. if he had shorter upper control arms he would have a lot of neg camber with no shims.
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #507
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
stop and think about that for a second. if he had shorter upper control arms he would have a lot of neg camber with no shims.
From above your post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Got the truck back on the ground, and with the shims in the same locations as they were previously, it has a noticeable negative camber. Hopefully they can pull enough shims to get it back into spec.
So, they'll have to pull shims to get it back to spec.

Seems like changing ANYTHING in the suspension ends up throwing off the camber. IMO, it could be the angle of the balljoint mounting flange. I didn't measure any of it. I could have measured from cross shaft to the actual swivel point of the balljoint, but instead we just got to work, and put it together. My time at the shop is limited. It's my brother's full-time job, and he gets tired of spending recreational time up there doing what he does all day everyday.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #508
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

I remember thinking (not sure if I said it out loud) that they were going to have to pull shims with the new control arms. So today is alignment day, let us know how it goes.

-Nate
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #509
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

Quote:

There is ONE cross-shaft joint that I can NOT grease while tightened down on the truck It is simply too close to the exhaust flange on the driver's side. I'm hoping I can find a different fitting (not straight) for the grease gun.
You could also look into replacing the zerk fitting as well. I know you can get them in 45* so you might even be able to get 90* fittings as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #510
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

Quote:
From above your post....

So, they'll have to pull shims to get it back to spec.

Seems like changing ANYTHING in the suspension ends up throwing off the camber. IMO, it could be the angle of the balljoint mounting flange. I didn't measure any of it. I could have measured from cross shaft to the actual swivel point of the balljoint, but instead we just got to work, and put it together. My time at the shop is limited. It's my brother's full-time job, and he gets tired of spending recreational time up there doing what he does all day everyday.
if you have negative camber you take shims out.
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD